Happiness is owning a chestnut mare.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Light as a feather, stiff as a board :/

Taters is the apple of my eye. I have owned quite a few horses, all of them I liked, but this horse is special. I know I say it all the time, but it really is true. There is something about her...she tries hard and wants to be good. I think she likes to learn and I think she feels good about my chosen career path for her. She is just so smart and lovable. Ok, I am starting to sound like one of those moms that I can't stand. haha.

Anyway, Taters has come so far this summer already. Every time we canter she is lighter and lighter. She is doing tons of circles/spirals and trying to learn what it means to bend. She has been doing some very successful leg yielding at the walk and some semi-successful leg yielding at the trot which I am very happy about. She is definitely figuring out that leg can mean more than just GO!

I am feeling more confident too for whatever reason. I took a dressage lesson on Tuesday and it was fantastic. I was yelled at a lot cause I suck, but I think by the end I had accomplished a lot. Our cantering sucked, but I know it was because in lessons I feel rushed to canter, but on my own I am relaxed and go at my own pace so it is easier.

It may not have looked like I was working really hard, but I was. This past spring I took things super slow and just kind of did whatever and wasn't particularly motivated. Now I am at the barn 6 days a week and I am totally motivated to get things done. I am trying to take two lessons a week because we are not allowed to jump on our own. I would really like to get to jump twice a week so that it becomes like second nature to her.

She loves being ridden 5-6 days a week, like most TBs do. She loves having a job to figure out. I love that I have time to ride her and motivation to get the job accomplished. I just hope that I am still feeling the same way when it is 20 degrees, I am working 730-4 and there is a blizzard outside :/

No comments:

Post a Comment